Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The funniest respite from the pressure

Laughter is the best medicine, some say. I guess Im living proof of that. I have gone over and over this past week the heaviness that has fallen upon me. Now that is so contrary to my character, its hard to take. The pressures at work of having to use my left brain (analytical) far more than my right brain (creative). Im much happier and fulfilled when I can be completely creative. But having to bring a company out of the financial mess we’re in is proving to be quite daunting. Now part of this mess was my fault because of not hiring the right people and not preparing for the dry months of summer I was warned about. I know we’ll pull out, but its just getting there that is the hard part. So I took a break from all the pressure tonight with round 4 of the Funniest Person in Bahrain.

I think everyone will agree that this was the best Funniest Person night so far. The comedians were on, and I gave them plenty of scenarios in which to shine. Im very proud of them. The energy from the crowd was electric. This is in such a contrast to the last performance two weeks ago. The crowd was down and thus the energy was down as well with the performers. This time I encouraged the performers to provide their own energy even if the crowd wasn’t there. It worked. Laughter and energy are contagious. The actors fed off the crowd which made them better performers which made them funnier which the crowd laughed more providing even more energy. It was cyclical, quite organic the way it worked. I was especially proud of Aila, Mrs. Finland. Aila is very soft-spoken and didn’t want to do the competition because she didn’t think she was funny and that she thinks she struggles with her English. But Aila brings an attitude and body language that Im trying to get the other performers to adapt to. She is a great example to the others. Then there is Will. Will is from the UK and absolutely hilarious. He’s really great at one-liners. The amazing thing about him, he’s only 16 years old. Here this kid is up performing with all these grown ups and not only holding his own, but outshining most of them. But the person that won tonight, really won hands down. I was hoping the judges would see it that way too. Ali, is a young comic at just 22-23 I think. He was awesome tonight and the rest of the cast thought so too. While this is a competition, the contestants don’t see it that way. They all root and pull for each other. We are becoming quite close. The thing that brings us together, is that we all know we are doing something revolutionary for Bahrain. There is a great sense of pride in that. They are all taking ownership of it. I feel great after a show like this. Because its my job as producer/director/MC to put our performers in positions where they can excel. So If I’ve done my job right, Im teaching and training them well. So when the do well, like tonight, I feel like a proud father. I grab the mic as MC, but Im not very funny, but I do try to keep the show moving.

I was better at work today. I really can’t get moving on these deadlines, as I have to wait for others to respond first. So Im waiting and the storm is going to hit, and its going to hit hard. So this Saturday we have a huge day, then I have to cut the show together in two days. Im glad there is a firm deadline attached, otherwise Im afraid the clients would make changes for months. Well…Its 12:45, and Im still jazzed…but I better cut it short and head to bed. I appreciate your prayers. Please keep them coming. I was listening to a sermon today about the difference prayers make. So please keep your prayers coming. I feel like Im still under attack. But tonight was a nice respite.

No comments: