Sunday, October 18, 2009

Aggressive Relaxation

(Im having internet problems, couldn't post yesterday...sorry)
I had a very nice and relaxing day today. It was almost like I was aggressively pursuing the relaxation. I know next week is going to be very very busy, so I wanted to make sure I was well prepared for it. I got to bed somewhat early and was able to sleep in. I met Russ for racquetball on the Navy Base at 11, that was good exercise. Then I came back and took a nap. My internet connection is off, so sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t work. It’s a little bit frustrating. So I don’t even know if Im going to be able to post this blog tonight. I woke up at 4, just in time for a sunset Kayak ride. The water wasn’t as calm today, but still its great exercise. There is just something incredibly therapeutic about the monotony and rhythm of paddling out there. I never see any other kayakers, only jet skis and yachts on the weekend. But during the week there is nothing. Today I had to dodge a big yacht that was converging in on my path. I think he was steering towards me, for me to make a move to avoid him. Its harder for me to alter my course than him, but he’s a lot bigger so I stopped. Still it was kind of annoying. I came back to the flat and took yet another nap. So that’s two exercise routines, and two naps in one day. I was tempted to do some work, but I blew it off. Im supposed to do a slew of re-edits on a project. I mentioned this before. This is the 5th re-edit for this client. Apparently the higher ups have just now gotten around to seeing it now that we are butted up against our deadline. I told the client we’d need more money for the re-edit, the client said they didn’t have any more in their fund. So we’re at a quandary. I spoke to my supervisor and he emphatically told me, if they don’t have the money for the re-edit…sorry here’s the last edit and don’t do anything else to fix it. I guess this is something I need to learn about how business is conducted here. Many people wait to the last minute and have unrealistic expectations on delivery. They are used to having it they way they want it, when they want it. Now its natural for a client to feel that way, especially when they are paying for it. But there has to be some reasonable guidelines and achievable goals and deadlines. Waiting to the last minute to request changes because you haven’t gotten around to reviewing the project is not a valid excuse. Im glad my supervisor empowered me to stand up to them, because I absolutely agree with that stance. Next time I’ll have to be more up front and emphatic about the guidelines. Each client gets two re-edits, and all subsequent edits are charged.

So this week I have two big projects with Thursday deadlines for completion. I had earlier deadlines on these but the clients want so many more changes. Its like its change for change sake almost. The first time through we had it pretty close. Its only 8:20 right now, and Im so anxious to go to sleep to start the new week. Even though its going to be tough, I feel very energized by all of it. Please keep me in your prayers, the next couple of weeks are going to be very important.

No comments: