Thursday, October 15, 2009

Edits, re-edits, re-re-edits, and re-re-re-edits

It was a different day for me. I think partially it was because I was at the office til 3:30 am with the guys. But we did get the project done. I gave them all the day off today which im sure they appreciated. I slept in a bit, and didn’t come into the office til 10:00. I had my important meeting at 12:30 and needed to prepare just a bit for it.

I had the meeting and it was actually better than the first. They liked the content. But there were still a lot of minor changes to be done. Now sometimes with these projects the more changes you make, the more changes they want you to make. It can be a never ending cycle. Its quite frustrating, especially when you consider the first version you gave them is the best. What was frustrating for me. We are now on the third or fourth edit on these projects and people are just now getting around to giving their comments, which are quite substantial. If only they would have given the comments at their deadline when they were supposed to, we could have made all the changes at once. But from what Im finding when talking to my other creative friends here, that is par for the course. So instead of getting frustrated by it, I have to learn to anticipate it a little more. There were seven people in the meeting today and I had seven different opinions and notes on the project. But they know they have a Tuesday deadline to have everything completed. Im happy about that. But on project #3 the main guy just got around to giving his notes and they are substantial, so I think I’ll be working all weekend on that project. Its so good that I enjoy what I do, otherwise I would be very frustrated. When I got back to the office, I had a great chat with our new sales/marketing guy Darin. He is really sharp and my age too. Im going ot enjoy working with him.

I was happy today because Tariq and Muneer two of my very good friends wanted to get together to go over some potential sketches for our Funniest Person contest. Really it was their prompting that started most of this. We were having dinner together about six months ago and Tariq and Muneer heard I was planning an improv night and they wanted in. They have been my biggest supporters since then. So we brainstormed today, watched some tv shows about improv comedy for inspiration and then just put our heads together to figure out what would work. Im so happy that the guys are taking a big interest in making this a hit. They aren’t getting paid any money, they are just doing it for the love of acting. Im honored to be working along side of them. Tariq bought the pizza so that was an added bonus.

What a long day it was. Im going to cut this short, because im exhausted. More tomorrow.

No comments: