Friday, October 9, 2009

A full and fulfilling day

What a great day it was for me. I got up early to have breakfast with Darren. Then I made it to church. Its still weird doing church on Friday. This was the first day we were allowed back in our school, where we normally hold the services. We have a fairly large church at around 300. Well its large for an international church anyway. The had closed us down due to the swine flu. So that means this was the first session back with the teens. Im volunteering to teach them. I really like interacting with the teens. I feel like I can really speak their language. Im not sure if it’s a special anointing or not, but Im real with them. I guess part of me is a little sad that I can’t have the same influence with my own teens. But hopefully, through time and prayer that will change someday. I really have been missing my kids lately. Everytime I see a dad with a teenager, my heart sinks a bit. While I am doing very well over here, there is a hole in my heart.

After church I met Darren again for squash and Lunch at the British club. This is the first time I’ve exercised in a week, so it really took it out of me. Lounging by the pool of the British club is always nice. It sure doesn’t feel like the Middle East there. In fact, it doesn’t feel like the Middle East much at all around Bahrain. Unless I drive downtown in the villages, then yes. But I really don’t have much interaction there.

There was a big party for Omar’s wife Sara tonight. The theme of the party was Emergency 999. Here they dial 999 instead of 911. So there were all sorts of creative costumes today. Costume parties are big here and people go all out for them. At Tanya’s suggestions I went as a drug addict. I never throw away my used insulin bottles, so I literally have hundreds now. I also had a collection of old used needles that I don’t use and haven’t bothered to properly dispose of them yet. Julie our photographer was a seamstress in the Philippines. So I had her sew on all the needles and empty insulin bottles on the t-shirt. It looked really fantastic. I’ll post some pics of it in a few days. I owe this blog a lot of pictures. I havent’ updated it in awhile and I will get better at it.

I asked Tanya what time the party started and she said 7:30 sharp. I asked again, just to make sure because most arrive late to these sort of things. So I got there at 7:30 and no one other than family had arrived yet. Most rolled in around 9:30 and the party started hopping then. I had a really nice time talking to friends and made a few new ones. Oh speaking of meeting new friends, I met a couple at church that both graduated from Liberty University in the 80’s. Whenever I hear that, my ears perk up. I have a sister back there….It gives us something interesting to talk about usually.

Well tomorrow is an exciting day. I get to sleep in with no scheduled appointments. I can’t remember the last time that happened…Im so stoked. Im probably going to celebrate and stay up late and watch the Office. Tomorrow night is kind of a big night. Bahrain is playing a home and away futbol, what we think of as soccer,match with New Zealand for the right to go to the World club. They are tied apparently. Moody invited me to go with he and his friends. Im not sure how many people go to this thing but apparently it’s a big deal. I was worried about getting tickets. I asked how much tickets were…and he responded its free. What????? Im so used to capitalism anything that is free surprises me now. So Im not sure how many people will go to this thing, but it should be fun.

No comments: