Thursday, October 8, 2009

Surprised about the day after

I was reflecting more on yesterday. I really did feel like George Bailey. There were about 100 people that wrote me happy birthday on facebook. I guess I should go back and respond to each one individually. Is that online etiquette? But for now, I just wrote a blanket thank you on my facebook update page and that triggered another 25 or so well wishers. It certainly was not my intention to do that. Now what made me feel great about all this, is that I didn’t have my family to celebrate it with this year or for that matter the last few years. I think God was making up for it yesterday with all these people besieging me with well wishes. Its never really been that important to me to be popular. But yesterday It kind of hit me…I am popular. Its not like Im doing things to make a lot of friends…Im just trying to be nice. To care about people. People are drawn to that. I mean its amazing, people I don’t even know and others I barely know approaching me. It is really amazing. Im absolutely blessed. I think God is putting me in a position where I can influence a lot of people. Im honored and blessed that he chose me to help build his kingdom.

We were jammed up at work today. A client was coming in at 12, so we had to have the project ready to go. Moody did most of the set up work, then I did a lot of the tweaking by adding the little finishing touches. I believe the client was very happy. There were times that client requested tricky changes or re-edits. Moody is relatively a new editor. So it was easy for me to sit down and do the changes myself rather than look over my shoulder. I really whizzed through it. I guess over the years I’ve become a very good editor. Its weird with my skill set. I have to be businessman, artist, and negotiator all rolled up into one. It seems those characteristics are quite disparate, but Im trying to use both sides of my brain now. I’ve found creatively, I have to gear up mentally for that kind of work. If something throws me off my game, I can’t really do it til the next day. Its like I have to psyche myself up for it. But when it flows…it really flows fast. Fortunately, I have plenty of left brained work to do so that always keeps me busy. This week was weird. I worked so hard, but I really didn’t work long hours. So it was the quality of work, not the quantity. But I remember thinking distinctly at 5:10, my brain is going to sleep now. It is the perfect time for the weekend for me to recharge my batteries. The work load is starting to thin out a bit. I don’t feel quite so overwhelmed anymore. I still have these amazing looming deadlines, but dealing with it in bite size chunks makes it seem more manageable.

After work, I decided not to fight the traffic and go see a movie. We have a mall really close to where I work. So I got there right as it was starting. I snuck in a chicken wrap to eat dinner with my popcorn and soda. So as Im watching the new Bruce Willis movie, I almost fell asleep. Im not sure if it was an indication of a bad movie, I was tired from the night before, or maybe Im getting tired of films. (Gasps from the audience). By my count, I’ve seen over 15,000 films. I love films, and love going to them. But maybe I’m going into a different phase in life. I find myself drawn more to TV series now. I never thought I’d say that. But for me, series TV is all about character development. Im more drawn to that then story. In fact, that’s what I always tell my comedians. Don’t worry about being funny. Comedy has little to do with the words, its all about the character and how the character responds in different situations.

I didn’t talk about Round 3 of Bahrain’s Funniest Person last night. The crowd was a bit down. I don’t think we marketed the event properly. This was our first contest in nearly two months. We are out of routine. So the crowd was smaller and that provided less energy. Plus we were missing three of our main comics who were traveling. The smaller crowd really affected the performers. Laughing is contagious. Sidd also said bar sales were down. Alcohol and laughter seem to go hand in hand too. We did a couple sketches that were really hilarious. We did an audience participation segment. The contestant had to drink a cup of water and hold it in their mouth for one minute. The comedians then tried to make that person laugh. So if that person laughed…they spit the water out all over the stage. It was very funny. The name of the game? Spit or swallow….I know its very crude but we were in a club for a comedy night. I guess that is not very becoming of me…but boy was it funny.

No comments: