Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Internet, dubai, and Iraq

We haven’t had internet access at the office for the last two days and it has totally thrown me off my routine. Maybe I spend a little too much time on the internet, but I use it to keep me on task. It’s a crazy thing about my work mode. Im the most productive when I have a ridiculous amount of work to get done. When I have a little to do, I have such a hard time getting anything done. Its such a psychological quandary.

It has been raining here the last couple of days, and again when I say rain I should say drizzle or heavy mist. Still the roads are crazy. Arabs just don’t know how to drive in not really inclement weather, it’s barely inclement weather. There were four times as many accidents on the road yesterday as opposed to a normal day. They just are so not used to rain. They don’t know how to handle it when it does come.

I booked my ticket to Dubai for next week. Since I didn’t have Internet, I ran off to Burger King for the Free Wifi so I got my work done there. Im headed to the Dubai Film Festival next week to meet up with the Bollywood Producer from South Africa. Im optimistic that we can get something going, so please keep me in your prayers. If he can provide distribution, I can provide content, and I know someone that probably can produce financing. I’m pretty sure that’s all you need. Im trying not to get me hopes up, because it does sound like a too good to be true deal. The good part is that this is our second meeting. The first was a meet and greet, and we both liked each other’s energy. Im getting a really early flight in and a very late flight out. I figure I can spend some time in the Business Class lounge in Dubai. They have showers, incredible free food, and all the drinks you want. It’s a shame Im not an alcoholic (I don’t mean that) because I have all this access to free alcohol that I don’t take advantage of. I know Im not missing anything. But its just not the same perk when you get all the Diet Coke you can drink. I like being comfortable with myself in any situation without the need alcohol. My father has an old classmate from Evangel in Dubai. He’s the provost/COO of a fairly large university there in Dubai. I made contact with him yesterday and plan to see him on my trip out there. He wanted me to meet his Dean of the College of Communication and Media Sciences. So that will make it an interesting trip as well. There is a lot going on in December. Im at total peace about it.

I played squash tonight with my Iraqi friend. He just got back from his brother’s funeral. He hadn’t seen his brother nor been back to Iraq in 28 years. He got out in 1971 when Saddam came to power. He’s been frightened to go back ever since. I just cant imaging not going back to the U.S. for 28 years and not seeing family. It was very strange for him to see nieces and nephews he knew when they were children, not fully grown with children of their own. Plus he was really disappointed in Baghdad which once was a beautiful city according to Him, but now its just pile of rubble and the rebuilding of the city’s infrastructure. Having fought in so many wars on foreign sole and never having to worry about crazy dictators (Insert Bush joke here) American is truly blessed. Please don’t ever take for granted the peace and prosperity you enjoy.

No comments: