Sunday, December 6, 2009

Inauguration Day

Wow, Im just having a hard time being inspired. Normally Im so optimistic and hopeful but now I feel a little like Im on an emotional roller coaster. If you read back on this blog you’ll see writing of a lot of optimism and self-reflection. Perhaps Im just in a holding pattern anticipating my big meeting next week at the Dubai Film Festival. I’m very hopeful about that. The success or failure of that meeting will greatly determine my strategy over the course of the next few months. I have written continuously in this blog that I believed that December was going to be a big big month. Perhaps since its here, Im a little bit worried that it might not be a big month. If its not a big month, then what about all those things that I felt that Lord impressed upon me, what if they are not true either. I think Im under a little bit of a spiritual attack of doubt. God is not a god of fear so I know these emotions are not coming from Him. Because I put my faith out there in this blog that has left me an open target. I think I felt compelled to do that so that when God does come through, as he always does, it will be an even greater testimony. I think by faith everything I put out there in this blog has come to pass, especially that 6 weeks of trouble thing two months back. Already something very good has come about in December but I’ll chat more about that in a later blog. Don’t ya just hate cliffhangers? You’d think I used to be in a television…or watch a lot of it or something.

Today wasn’t horribly bad. I got up early for the big inauguration of the port. This is something that we’ve been working on for nearly six months. This was a huge event with big money going into it. It was one of the very very rare occasions where the trifecta, The King, The Crown Prince, and The Prime Minister were all in attendance. Basically it was a Who’s who of Bahrain all gathered in this make shift tent. We produced two DVD’s for this event, One the Making of the Khalifa Bin Salman Port, and the other The History of Bahrain Seaports. (I’ll post these on our website) I was very proud of both of these. A copy of each went into each gift basket. So a lot of important dignitaries were able to see our work. Each one of these videos had about 10 re-edits each. It was very frustrating. Its not like the client would give us all the changes at once. After each re-edit, they would notice something different and then need to change it. This was part of the frustration for me back in Aug-Sept. The latest revision was really tough. It started out as a history of Bahrain Seaports, which was quite beautiful and poetic. I took it back to the Sumerian times where Bahrain was literally the center of civilization, then it went into the poetry of the pearl divers something the island survived off of for centuries into the modern day shipping channels. It’s a good thing we have the director’s cut which made it onto all the DVD’s. The ceremony was supposed to have taken place last month, but the King’s uncle died and everything got postponed by a month. With that much time, they came up with yet another version…I think this one must have been #13. I asked for more money for the re-edit, because it was essentially an entirely new piece. I’ve found if you don’t stand up for yourself, they’ll walk over you. So I stood up for myself and they walked all over me anyway. They took the project to another company. Which kind of hurt my feelings. But we still got our money so I didn’t feel too bad. I was so tied into this project spiritually and emotionally. But with me leaving to the U.S. when it needed to be finished, I wouldn’t have been able to work on it anyway. They premiered the latest re-edit, and it didn’t resemble the original piece at all. Maybe 2% of it was the same…but that was it. Since its National Day on Dec. 16 (the 4th of July in the U.S.) they wanted this all to be about Bahrain prosperity, and since the King was in attendance, they wanted it to be about how the King brought in that same prosperity. I think they mentioned Bahrain’s seafaring history for about :10 seconds of the 7:00 minute video. I was encouraged, because I know ours was better. But oh well…the client is always right. It was nice to see the Big Three all together, so there was a feeling of it being a historic occasion.

Oh it rained today. This is news since it only rains about two weeks a year. Its funny, Bahraini’s or probably most Arabs don’t know how to drive in the rain. They just aren’t used to it. Traffic on the freeway slows down to a crawl and accidents are rampant. It wasn’t even a heavy rain. In California you would call it a light rain, in Texas it would be heavy mist, but here it was a deluge. Lots of flooding since there is absolutely no drainage system in place. You have to remember that some of these streets have been around for 5000 years, literally.

Please keep praying for me…I need some hope and inspiration. It’s a good thing my positive living group resumes tomorrow. I need that.

No comments: