Thursday, July 2, 2009

The wind at my back

Last day in the office before my vacation. It’s a short two week vacation. Most people vacation here for 1 or 2 months and fly to their homeland. I can’t be away from the office that long. I realized something last week. I need a vacation. I’ve been working hard. Again its difficult to determine how hard I’ve been working because it really doesn’t feel like work. The only way that I can gauge it is that Im tired. I am so looking forward to seeing my kids. I went out to lunch with a girl that comes to my Positive Living group. She’s a sweet girl that is headed back to Texas soon. She lost her job as a private flight attendant because of the recession. She mentioned that I made such a positive impact in her life. She went on to say how appreciative she was for helping me get her back on track. Now granted this is nothing I intentionally did, so I’m not trying to take any praise here. All I was, was open and willing and God drew the people to me. I think its all part of the “Preach the gospel always…when necessary use words. People would be put off if I used to many words too early. But once they approach me…then the Lord just flows through. Its really cool having the perfect words to say to someone. Its not just this one girl, but there are so many people that are coming into my life. Im making a difference on a one on one basis. But I think that’s going to be mass broadcast very soon.

I had so many little things to take care of today before I left. I got off to a great start by kayaking. The water was so choppy and it was so windy. I went only about half the distance, but nearly triple the effort. Its like I was paddling and getting blown back simultaneously. On the flip side, when I turned around and the wind was at my back, I was cruising. Going very very fast almost effortlessly. As I was heading back, God spoke to me. I always equate God’s words to me as metaphors. Jesus spoke in metaphors so if its good enough for him, its good enough for me. The last three years I’ve been struggling against the wind as I try to heal from my divorce. Its been difficult, but progress has been made. But now, my life and circumstances have changed and have turned around. The wind is at my back and everything seems much more easy and comfortable. But still even though the wind is at my back, I have to be careful to paddle evenly and watch out for the occasional unexpected rogue wave. Even though the speed is there, it wouldn’t take much to veer me off course. So I have to stay alert.

So much happened yesterday, I think I forgot to mention that I went to lunch with a Finnish couple. They are very sweet people. Mr. Fin is really cool, an airtraffic controller, in a band, skydives, is a scuba instructor, plays squash and is buying a kayak. Im two months older than him. They are going on their vacation back to Finland in a couple of weeks. They have a country vacation home with no running water. The only water is the hose outside. That is a vacation? Im so spoiled. The summer’s in Finland have the sunlight out 24 hours a day. They are only around 200 miles from the Arctic Circle. In the winter time, the sun doesn’t come out at all. That would be so wild to adjust to. That’s just another thing that is cool about the island. I meet people from all walks and cultures of life. Now I have an invitation to visit them next Summer. Its really cool with all the special relationships you develop here.

Im headed out in a bit to look at the home my friend wants me to rent from him. Its very tiny, but its right on the water. I don’t need much. It has a beautiful patio that leads to his small dock. It would be perfect for the kayak. They call this Amwaj, the floating city. I could either have a tiny place in an incredible area…or a gigantic place in not such an incredible area. Since Im a single…I think I’ll opt for the small place.

OK….four hours later. I visited the place and its like a dream. It’s a floating city, kind of like Venice in the middle east. He has a backyard that backs up to the canal, so I can park my kayak. He really wants me to move there…this is the Romanian’s fiancé by the way. We went out to eat and he treated me to a fabulous steak dinner. I really like the guy and the Romanian. They are a fabulous couple. Im being blessed with a lot friends right now.

By the way, tonight the blog eclipsed over 10,000 hits. Granted 1000 of those are my mother, but still. Im quite honored to have the readership. Thank you. Your prayers, support and encouragement give me strength.

No comments: