Sunday, July 12, 2009

More silliness

I think Spencer said it best about an hour ago. This was the best day so far. It really was spectacular. I am a good dad…and I love my kids…yet X is trying to put in their head that Im a bad guy…and making mistakes as a parent. Apparently it is taboo for me to treat my boys like kids. They are 13 and 11. Don’t they have the rest of their lives to be grown ups. Isn’t ok that I’m silly with them? They have already lost so much of their childhood through the divorce. I don’t see any need to rush them growing up. Plus aren’t there more important things to be concerned with? So I try not to initiate being silly, trying to respect what they say what they want. They are naturally defensive because of the programming that X has put into their head. But what has happenened is something wonderful. They are just feeling secure to be themselves. They are initiating the playful fights, the wrestling, the laughing. Its great. They are my boys again. I told my roommate Ray, who is in his late 20’s, about our wrestle fights. He walked in the house while the boys were attacking me. Spencer likes to hurl himself at me, While Max likes to push his weight on me to keep me down. They are getting bigger so the fights get a little more intense. Anyway, Ray walked in the house while we were in mid fight. Afterwards, I told him and his girlfriend that X likes to discourage the wrestling as Im supposed to treat them like they are older. He explained that he still wrestles with his dad and he’s nearly 30. So that made me feel better. I just don’t see what the purpose is getting the kids to believe Im doing something wrong.

I own my home in Spring, TX and since Im gone so often I rent my rooms out. I think its part of being a good steward. Im very selective who I rent the rooms to. We essentially have a family. I rented out another room today to a divorced dad with a 15 year old son. He was a little down on his luck with health issues. His son with him totally reminded me of Max. So now essentially the house is filled with responsible divorced dads that are completely devoted to their children. It’s a very supportive atmosphere. So I made breakfast for everyone this morning. I know how to make two things…Spaghetti and Eggs. So it was Eggs. It was a nice bonding experience. We all seem to like each other a lot.

After breakfast Spencer and I played Wii. He kicked my butt. I think I actually sprained my thumb. I was really trying to beat him. Then we wrestled and played games the rest of the afternoon. The key is the kids were themselves and they were having fun with me.

We went out to play lasertag. The boys love this. So we played a private game, just the three of us. Wow…that is a fun time with them. After dinner the boys talked me into going back to Laser tag to play another game. But it was the talk back and forth to place that was great. I think the boys are detoxed from the negativity of X finally. I wish I had more of an influence in their life, but I’ll do the best with what I have now.

No comments: