Friday, July 24, 2009

God talking again

Now that Im back on track spiritually God is speaking to me again. He was always talking but I was out of routine and running interference so it was hard for me to really be in tune with his voice. I just didn’t take the time to sit down and commune with him since I was so interesting being with my family. I think that was ok for the time. Im trying to embrace my loneliness out here to find God’s purpose in all of it. I read something in the book that has taken me 5 years to read, and Im still not done “The Fire of Delayed Answers” there’s a funny story behind that book in the back blog pages. What the author Bob Sorge was contending is that when God doesn’t answer our prayers its like we are in a spiritual prison. Im in an emotional prison it seems like for the past four years. The reason he allows that is to give us great quantities of time with the Lord so that we can establish an amazing connection with him. If I were busier with a girlfriend or spouse…those moments would be much harder to come by. That reassured me because I do have an amazing connection with God and it just wouldn’t have been possible unless I traveled this same exact journey.

Today was a little different for me. I didn’t really miss having a mate, but instead I missed my boys. I got a little spoiled seeing them for two weeks straight. I love those guys and Im such a positive influence on their lives. I wish I could have more influence, but for God’s reasons Im called to be hear for this season and He’s assured me that he is protecting and taking care of the boys. I can see that with my own eyes and that provides a great deal of comfort in my life. Still I long for a miracle that they somehow could wind up with me. It will take a miracle because X is steadfastly against it. But like Al Michaels…I believe in miracles.

I went to church this morning again it was kind of blah. The church is not very dynamic especially since Im so spoiled with Lakewood in Tx and Cornerstone in Ca. I get spiritually fed by downloading podcasts of other sermons or reading books. It tends to be working I think. This is one reason why I volunteer with the teens. I feel like I have a gift in communicating with them. Plus Im here to serve so I like to do so at every opportunity. But the teen classes were suspended for the summer because everyone tends to leave. Life on the island is slowing down as there are so many people gone for vacation. Im told that August is even worse. Then we have Ramadan…so this must be the official slow season.

After church I met with Sidd, he’s the owner of Aqua Fuego where we hold the improv contests. Sidd and I usually meet at Johnny Rocket’s for our meetings. He’s a really interesting guy. He’s closing down his club because the owners are giving him hassles. He’s moving to another hotel and opening up after Ramadan. He was very concerned that we would move the improv contest with him, which we will. We had such an amazingly positive response. Many were just surprised that it was as good as it was. Most people didn’t realize they had that much talent in Bahrain. I also was made to feel really good ego-wise. I had several people approach me and congratulate me on the directing job I did. With that many crazy extroverted personalities, we all seemed to work in harmony with each other. You know the adage is that everyone in Hollywood wants to be a director. Im no exception and I often wonder, do I have what it takes or am I just like the rest of the wannabes. After these comments and the last performance, I know I have what it takes to be a great director. Being a director is simply someone that has vision and can clearly communicate that vision to his staff. Its quite simple really.

Took the kayak out for the first time in nearly three weeks. I was a little rusty on the balancing part at first but I didn’t fall in. There were several people out at the beach today. I did the ride at sunset so it was actually pretty cool when I set out. When I got back, two arabs approached me…Im pretty sure they were Bahraini’s. They were very friendly. They wanted to know how far I went out, because they were watching me and I disappeared from their view. They had a lot of nice compliments about how fast I was going and how straight I made it. They apparently realized how difficult it is. It was just nice having this little interaction with them. They even helped me load my kayak in the car. That is Arab hospitality. This is a great place to live. Arabs are beautiful people. Next time you hear someone disparage an Arab or this part of the world…send their ignorance to me…I’ll straighten them up. I’m glad to get any and all emails about this topic as well.

No comments: