Friday, July 17, 2009

Blessings from Lakewood

It was a really nice day today. Im getting along so great with my boys. I love them sooooo much. We are just having a blast together. Spencer keeps trying to incite me into fighting/wrestling with him by jumping on me, hitting or kicking me. It works… Its fun. He likes to give affection by zestful play too. As Im writing this blog, they are throwing pillows at me trying to get me to go after them…I think I will hold on….

I got up a little early because I had an appointment at Lakewood. I met a person by the name of Joyce in the bookstore. She’s the missions coordinator for Lakewood. So Joyce left me in the bookstore and said get whatever you want and we’ll put it on the Missions tab. Lakewood’s bookstore, like Lakewood is huge. So I was like a kid in a candy store. But I wanted to be responsible too. So I mainly got the DVD series. For our positive living group, we always watch a Osteen video and discuss it. So I think I picked up around 25 DVD’s and each DVD had between 6-8 episodes/sermons so I have about 2-3 years worth of material. Not only that, but I picked up Greek translation bible, some cd’s and a case of Bibles. So I have about 25 paperback bibles to give away. I think I am going to give the DVD’s to my church in Bahrain, Saar Fellowship so they can add the titles to their lending library. That way more people would be able to be blessed by them. They also gave me some pamphlets and other books…Im well set. They are very good to me. Lakewood is very missions focused. I have found myself being a Joel Osteen apologist. Some Christians don’t like Osteen as they feel his messages are not theologically meaty enough. I always respond that I grew up in the church and nowhere have I ever grown in my faith more than Lakewood. It is a great great church. There focus on international missions makes them even a greater church. They are incredibly supportive.

I then went to lunch with Jim Lewis Pastor of Men’s ministry at Lakewood. Jim and the Men’s ministry were very instrumental in my growth and healing from my divorce. I came to Lakewood at my lowest point emotionally and Jim and the men’s ministry systematically helped me regain my esteem, and built me up God’s way. I remember one thing in particular that was important. I was completely broken. I went to a men’s group and half way through the group all the men gave each other hugs. I received a great big bear hug from several guys. It was incredibly healing and very masculine. It was the first physical touch I had received in months. It was so comforting and reassuring. Just a bunch of guys helping other guys reach their top potential. Iron sharpens iron and that is how I grew. One guy in particular that I met at Lakewood men’s group was instrumental. His name was Wayne. He was a great looking Jamaican, very cool and successful. He had went through a divorce that was almost identical to mine. He told me that he was going to be my support and that if I ever needed him, he would be available for me 24/7. Wayne was there for me and I did call him regularly. It really helped in the healing process. I got my identity grounded in the church and the Word. That was the best way to rebuild. Another key point was attending a 6 month class called “Quest for Authentic Manhood.” It was an intensive weekly study on how to be a Biblical man of God. I learned so much about how to be a man of God and a proper husband and father. Whenever they talked about how to be a husband it was very painful. I endured because I want to be an even better husband the next time God brings a special lady into my life. There are four principals that Quest for Authentic Manhood taught me which will stay with me the rest of my life. 1. Reject Passivity 2. Accept Responsibility 3. Lead Courageously 4. Expect God’s rewards. I was a good husband and great father the first time around. But the second time around Im going to be a great husband. I honestly think If I would have taken the course a few years earlier…before my divorce I still would have been married. But Im anxious to put what I learned into place.

What Jim really is emphasizing is a mentorship program. Im taking those principals and trying to enact them in the Middle East. That’s what im trying to do with several people in Bahrain. I thanked Jim for his efforts in the Men’s ministry and the difference he made in my life. Im certain that if it wasn’t for Jim and Lakewood…I wouldn’t be living my dream life in Bahrain today.

No comments: