Monday, July 6, 2009

on the plane

I have about an hour left before I get to LAX. The flight has been very pleasant. I think its all about the mindset. If you prepare yourself for a long journey then you aren’t miserable. I think that is the key to overcoming adversity. I have prepared myself that the Middle East is a very hot place to live, because of that the extremes in temperatures have not been that uncomfortable. Keep in mind that the temperatures have only topped 120 with the July –August months getting up to around 130. You never really know how hot it is. All the thermometers there stop at 130. According to law you are not allowed to work when it gets over 130. Thus if all the termometers stop at 130, they can keep working all the time. It really sucks for the laborers. The Sri Lankan, Indian, Pakastani laborers toil in the iincredible heat and make only about $300 per month and then send most of that home to their family. It really sucks for them during Ramadan. Ramadan is different every ear as its based on the lunar calendar. This year Ramadan is Aug-Sept. So during Ramadan you are not supposed eat or drink or smoke during daylight hours. So these guys have to wrok in that temperature and not have any water. Its downright dangerous. Certain companies allow them to break the rules. According the Koran, you are not supposed to observe the fast if it puts you in physical danger.

So back to the plane. I got upgraded on the first leg from Bahrain to Dubai. Quite unexpectedly, the moved me. The flight was overbooked in economy so I got bumped to first. That was really nice, the only problem was it was only an hour flight. So naturally it got my hopes up that I might get upgraded on the longer leg, yet no such luck. I think the key for me to overcoming jetlag is in the first two days. I stay awake all night for the first night then sleep a bit on the plane. The key I think is to deprive yourself of sleep. That way when you get to your ultimate destination you wait until night and by that time you are so exhausted you can’t help but sleep. So its not a foolproof plan, but it works for me. So I slept a bit on this flight and watched the final episodes of LOST. That really helps the time fly by. Plus on the international flights they have about 300 hours of programming for you to watch on your personal tv in the seat back of the chair in front of you. Watching flicks is a great way to pass the time.

Im very fortunate to have all the support and prayers of so many friends on this difficult journey that the Lord has called me on. It really makes sooo much of a difference. Im hoping the trip goes smoothly, but something in my spirit is cautiouning me. Im so excited to see my kids. I really am looking forward to that. First, while they are vacationing with X, Im spending two days in LA meeting Miss So.Ca. That will be an interesting time. Im getting tired of the dating scene. But I know I have to wait it out. God has spoken to me even on this plane a few hours ago, that the emotional ride for the next five months or so is going to be a wild and fun one. I just have to maintain my focus on Him at all times and I’ll be fine.

This is my second trip back to the U.S. this year. I also plan on coming back in December. If I can make it back 3 times a year or so, I think that would be great for my kids. Ideally, I would love to have them visit me for an extended period but X will not allow that and the legal recourse would be costly and ultimately damage the children. Most of the salary I have is spent in going back and forth, and that’s ok. The kids are worth it. When I lived in California the past year, I flew back to TX every 1st 3rd and 5th weekend. I only missed one, but then I made it the next week after that. Im proud of that. Im not sure if the kids will see that determination or not. I guess for the time being I have to show the same sort of determination in seeing them even while abroad. Through Emirates is just about 24 hours from the time I leave my flat to the time I reach my destination. One day travel isn’t that bad. Hopefully if the Lord will continue to bless my efforts I can make this trip more regularly.

No comments: