Monday, July 13, 2009

It's because of the jelly bellies

The days with my boys just keep getting better and better. I know this blog might be getting a little dull because of it. Since my focus is entirely on them, I don’t have much else that is interesting to talk about. That is why I appreciate my life in Bahrain so much. Something cool happens to me every day. While here…what I’m supposed to do is be with my boys, and for me…that is plenty exciting. We slept in today then headed off to church. I love Lakewood church. I’ve been to churches all over the world. Nowhere have I ever grown as a believer more than when I went to Lakewood. Today the service featured the British group DELIRIOUS. This apparently was their last concert. So I was honored to be a part of it. They were awesome. The boys also really enjoyed it.

We went to lunch after then back to the house. Im renting two more rooms out of my house so I have to interview tenants. We are very selective on who we allow in. We all get along and it’s a great family. I would really enjoy living here and it gives me something to look forward to when I come back to Houston. I have several people interested in it. They all want the master bedroom. But yesterday, I did a business decision that might not be too wise, but it felt right. There was this single dad that came by. This guy is a former cop that is down on his luck. He had his 15 year old son with him, he reminded me a lot of Max. This guy was rebuilding his life. He was a little down on his luck but was hoping to turn things around by Sept. He was very honest and forthright with me. So I gave him the master bedroom so he could be there with his son. He can’t pay as much as the other tenants were offering…but still it felt right. I had empathy for him. So I like doing that kind of thing to help a fellow brother/sister in Christ in need. I interviewed three other people for the other room, but we haven’t settled on anyone yet.

I went to pick up my parents from the airport. They haven’t seen my kids for about a year. Now this is really funny if you are a Beeman. My parents always over pack. So for a week’s trip they brought four suitcases. I commented…Geez how long are you staying? My father responds “Jelly Beans” My mother says…”Don you were supposed to keep it a surprise. My dad isn’t very good at surprises. So this is the equivalent of “Hi Dad” His response “Jelly Beans.” My father is a great and generous man. But he has his quirks. My sisters and I love to tease him, but we defend him if anyone outside the family takes potshots at him. My parents drove four hours out of their way (total) to replenish my sugar free jelly belly supply. They were quite moved when they read of my plight losing the jelly bellies at work. It was incredibly considerate of them.

So the kids were very excited to see them. They liked all the improvements we made on the house. We went to eat at Old Town Spring, which is about a mile from us. All the shops and restaurants resemble turn of the century architecture. We ate in a restaurant that was an old saloon over 100 years ago. As we got out of the car, Max got excited because there was a store that sold fried oreos there. My mother made a comment, “oh…that’s so unhealthy you’ll put on so much weight. But you can put on weight Max, I can’t. “ Max responded sure you can Grammy who do you have to impress?” “Well your granddad.” My father responded “she has looked good for 46 years. “ That is what a good marriage is all about. Marriage is a commitment. You have to work at it. It just doesn’t just happen. Im ashamed that I can’t model what a good relationship should be like for my kids. My parents can do that…but their influence is limited. But at least for one week…my kids can see what Godly long lasting relationship looks like. My boys are very excited that their grandparents are here.

No comments: