Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The bombshell from yesterday

I am exhausted. I am so glad the weekend is around the corner. I sure need one. I didn’t mention last night because I was still trying to process it. A really unfortunate event. I was so overwhelmed with responsibility I just didn’t know how to handle the news. I own a home in Houston. When I bought the house I was traveling back and forth to California for work and back to Houston for the 1st 3rd and 5th weekend visitations. I took the Friday off and took the first flight out on Friday morning and the last plane back on Sunday night. I did this for a whole year and only missed one weekend. I wasn’t hardly saving any money because most of it was going to the airfare but I didn’t miss any time with the kids. So I figured if I bought a house it would give my kids some permanency with regards to me. But since I was home only 6 days a month, I thought it was silly to leave it empty. So I started renting out the rooms. With the economy, I thought it was a pretty good move. Generally I’ve had good luck with the roommates. Most have been great, but we’ve had a few bad eggs. The last “manager” of my house was one of those eggs. She didn’t start off bad, but apparently the last year wasn’t so good for her. She lost her job and I think sunk into depression. She also wound up flooding the entire downstairs, but I got new carpet out of the deal, so at least all the hassle netted me something nice. She left right after the flood. I got an email from my current manager yesterday. David and I go to the Lakewood together and he is an upstanding guy. One of my better friends. So he said he got a letter in the mail from an attorney saying the homeowner’s association was filing suit against me. What???? Apparently I hadn’t paid homeowner’s association dues for the past 8 months. So they sent it to a collection attorney. David did some digging around and found 8 registered letters and invoices from the Homeowner’s association buried in a drawer. The old manager was responsible for paying the bills. Why did she forget this one? So the gist of the story my $350 homeowner association dues, now turned into a $1392 fine. Well that is enough to make everyone upset. Yet…not me. The rest of the day had been so overwhelming, I really felt peace in the midst of this latest issue. How is getting upset and frustrated going to help in the situation. So there I was sitting with peace in the midst of setback. It didn’t make sense, and I couldn’t explain it, but I was happy. I just praised God in the midst of the storm. Today I got up and felt great. I just worshipped God.

Everything fell in place today. The project which I was worried I was going to be late on, is completely on schedule…and its pretty good. Moody wound up doing a great job on it. I was hard on him, but hopefully he learned. He has a great attitude and that will take him far. The only thing I have left to do on the project is to select music and mix. Its going to be tight to hit the deadline of 2:00 PM tomorrow, but at least I don’t have to pull an all-nighter.

I had a very important meeting with Darin today. I think it went very well. As much as I don’t like sales, Im really good at it. My acting classes sure helped. Its all about reading the body language. I realized early on that the client wasn’t interested in my pitch so I changed quickly and figured out what he was interested in. We made a lot of headway. I think he might turn into a very important client.

We had a practice session for the Funniest Person in Bahrain. Im so happy with the team. They are not getting paid, but they are so committed to the process and they want to get better. Its real camaraderie. Im honored that they believe in me and what we are trying to accomplish. Im so tired, I think Im turning in early today. It was a very mentally exhausting day. I got 16 hours of work done in 6 hours. Or so it seems.

No comments: