Saturday, September 19, 2009

Lots of little things

What a satisfying day it was for me. Not any one particular thing stood out as amazing, just a lot of little things combined together. I slept in, which is always a good thing. I don’t get to do that too often. First order of business was to meet Russ at the Navy base for a game of Racquetball. Russ you might remember from last week was the recipient of getting hit five times with the ball. I was more careful this time. He ran into me once, but I made sure I kept the ball away from him. It was good exercise and a even match. Darren, whom I would later see twice more met us on the base. We all had Taco Bell. The navy base is the only place in Bahrain you can get Taco Bell, so it might as well been filet mignon in a five star restaurant. Its all in your perspective.

Came home took a nap, finished watching Prison Break Season 3, sent emails, and chatted with friends. By that time it was 6:00 and time to play Darren at Squash. Now I’m scheduling two strenuous racquet sports in a day in an effort to get squash fit. Im already pretty fit via the kayak for an hour to an hour and a half. But in squash you need quick bursts of speed. My legs certainly aren’t in squash shape. So it was nice playing Darren, I think for the third day in a row. The problem was with that strenuous of two workouts, I didn’t adequately compensate by lowering my insulin intake. Thus near the end of the game, I went into a low blood sure reaction, which kind of drains me. So I had to scarf down some cholcolate.

Afterwards Darren invited me to a dinner party he was throwing for friends. This was so different than the party I went to last night. This was so sophisticated. It certainly was a wine and cheese type of party. There were two Germans, a South African and four Americans. The conversation and meal was really fantastic. It was a very classy get together.

Im still not sure if they called Eid yet. Its basically four guys in Saudi Arabia looking up to see the moon. Eid signifies the end of Ramadan and a three day Muslim and national holiday. So its kind of difficult to try to run a business when you don’t know until the night before hand, if your employees are working or have the day off. Then once you find out, you have to contact them all. Nader was pre-emptive and gave the employees Sunday and Monday off. I wanted to go away during this Eid. My old college buddy, Robby Bradford moved to Paris with his family to start a church. I really wanted to see him, and see Paris. That would have been really cool. But I have a deadline for two projects on Oct. 1. Its going to tight to finish them both on time. But I’ve never missed a deadline, and don’t plan to on this watch either. So myself and couple of colleagues will work right through. It doesn’t seem burdensome, since I really enjoy what I do.

Im pretty tired tonight so I’ll wrap this up.

No comments: