Thursday, September 17, 2009

"I read your blog"

What an amazingly cool day it was. It’s 2 am, I just got back from a Brazilian themed party at Mo’s house. Basically that is a party where you have to wear yellow and green. There is a lot of alcohol at these parties, but I don’t drink. I just go to connect with friends. I think its important that they see me in those environments. So lets go in order of what happened today.

I’m so overwhelmed with deadlines at work, I didn’t hardly get anything done. Hopefully over the long weekend, I’ll be able to make up for lost time. So that’s the question, when is the long weekend. At the end of every Ramadan is a 3 day holiday called Eid. It’s the closest equivalent to our Christmas. The question is when is Eid. It might be Sunday or Monday or even Tuesday. The problem is that it hasn’t been called yet. There is this special counsel that looks up at the moon to declare when Ramadan is over. The problem running a business is you don’t know when to tell your employees to work or not work until the last minute. We did our last interview with one of our client projects. This guy is a landscape designer/engineer. He was very happy to have us working with him. It’s cool when you are interviewing people that are honored that you are covering them. Media here in this area is still a very big deal, since there aren’t a lot of production companies of television stations.

After work, I met up with Darren at the British Club for another game of squash. I love playing Darren because our matches are so close and competitive. At the end of our game, we were absolutely wiped out. The guy playing after us, who was from the UK, heard our voices. He said, you two must be the number 1 and number 2 ranked American squash players in Bahrain. Huh? Then he said he recognized me from my blog. Huh? He started going down some of the details that I wrote about in my Ramadan feature. Whoa. That blew me away. I had never met this guy, but somehow he found my blog, remembered it, and ever quoted it back to me. How cool is that? I have no idea how some people find this, but it it getting out there.

So Darren invited me to a movie with his new friends the Germans. So we went to see the late show of “The Hangover.” It was hilarious, I haven’t laughed that hard in a movie for a long time. It was kind of neat for me. The Hangover was directed by a guy by the name of Todd Phillips. It means something to me, because when I was at Dreamworks, I worked on Phillip’s other film Road Trip. Perhaps that is why I was laughing a bit heartier.

Finally my friend Mo called me, and said, are you coming to the party? Did you get my invitation. No. Well come anyway. So after the movie I hung out at Mo’s Brasilian party. I had a yellow T-shirt to go along with the theme. I saw a lot of my old friends there, but a lot of new faces as well. Bahrain is a very transient place with people coming and going on a regular basis. Im a little worried though. Three of my contestants from Bahrain’s Funniest Person, laughed when they saw me. FACT magazine is doing a write up for us in their October issue. Apparently these yahoo’s ganged up to make me look bad or make fun of me. I don’t mind being the butt of a joke, but these guys were warning I might not want to show my face in the near future. I can’t wait for the October issue to come out.

1 comment:

Ashish Gorde said...

When people issue such warnings, then, that's a sure sign that you're doing something good. Losers usually like to pick on people who are doing a much better job than they can ever dream of doing. Something I learned this week... to cut a long story short!!! :)