Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Not exactly what i wanted to hear

Woke up a bit early to do a shoot. Im really being particular about the shots Im choosing for this video. Its so nice to be able to be in this position. Most of the time, Im working with so little footage, there isn’t much of a choice. Now Im well stocked with choices. I wanted to reshoot a scene at the Bahraini Fort (the one that is 1500 years old.) I wanted to get it at high tide. It makes a difference. So high tide was at 8:01 this morning. I figured since I was out there so early, might as well throw my kayak in the water while Im there. So this was a new place to kayak. The water was so calm. I really prefer it that way. Although when the water is rough, it’s a better workout. But this was serene for me. The water was quite shallow all the way out. Since I was in a new area I stayed close to the shore. The water ranged in depth from 4-10 feet, absolutely crystal clear. You can see the bottom of the sea from up to 40 feet out here. The water is a aqua green, something you might see in virgin islands or west indies. Since this is an island, I don’t think Bahrainis appreciate how beautiful the beach and the water are, since they are surrounded by it. Growing up in San Francisco, I never appreciated it because it was right there. Now that Im away when I go back, I appreciate it more. It was like that for my friends in Taiwan too. I marveled at the spectacular beauty but for them it was normal. Bahrain could make a lot of money in the tourism department. They already do quite well with the Saudi’s coming over to spend their money. Curiously enough there are also a lot of German tourists that come down on cruises. Hopefully as I rise in prominence here in Bahrain, I’ll have more of the ear of the powers at be and can help influence. We are already finding favor with the Government as they are relying upon us to produce more and more of their projects. I really like being in that position. This is such a great country, I just want more people to know about it. Remember I was scared to come to the Middle East back in 2005 and I had already traveled the world and was well educated. If I have those mis-conceptions about this place what about the others who haven’t traveled as much and might be a little less educated? Im here to help teach in several different ways.

I finished the video portion of the short History of Bahrain Seaports project. Now I have to find music and add graphics. I told you my graphics/animation super wiz is getting married in India next week…so I’ll have to wait for him to finish it. That can be a little frustrating. Originally he asked to leave for 10 days, now that has turned into 28. He is such a valuable employee, I don’t want to do anything punitive. I have to take a step back and realize that even though he is greatly needed, his personal life is so much more important than just a job. I have to keep that in perspective.

With Ramadan in full swing a lot of my friends (that like to club) are going a little stir crazy. So there are bunches and bunches of house parties planned this weekend. While I don’t like clubbing and don’t like drinking, I like house parties because you can have conversations and be social. At first I was all into being “seen” at these parties and getting the pics posted on facebook. Now Im not really concerned with that anymore. Im at peace and secure so I don’t need the popularity or accolades via facebook friends.

Im in a little bit of a spiritual rut. I’ve been trying to deepen my spiritual walk and its been two steps forward one step back. While nothing really bad has happened I want to get to the place of spiritual intimacy I was at when I first arrived. I guess in every Christian’s life, the fire must be continually stoked. So I was having a conversation with God about how to get that passion and intimacy back. I didn’t like what I heard. Im supposed to fast. Now fasting does serve a distinct purpose but Its difficult. I know the Jesus compels his followers to fast in secret and not be boastful like the Pharisees, but I felt like I should share it with you. If only to keep myself honest. There have been several times I’ve embarked upon three day fasts only to convince myself by day 2 that maybe God is telling me 2 would be sufficient. Its easy to compromise and justify when you’re hungry. I always feel so let down if I give in and eat before my targeted time. So I’m going for a 48 hour fast this time. Not like the Muslims with the sun up fast. So I have to plan ahead a little. I lose a lot of energy when I fast, so I need to schedule my sleep more. I also planned it around the weekend, so I can lounge and relax during it. The first 24 hours are always the hardest. But once you get over that first hump its all downhill. As a diabetic, I have to juggle it a little more to make sure my blood sugars remain constant. Oh by the way…the first meal after you do fast…is amazingly good…no matter what you have to eat.

No comments: