Sunday, August 9, 2009

Glengarry Glen Ross

I felt better today. Im not 100% yet, more like 50%. So I had to conserve my energy. I had to let it out in spurts. Tarek, our new sales manager had set up an important meeting this morning. So I had to come into work. Otherwise I probably would have stayed in bed most of the day again. So took it easy in the morning. I just remember the drive out there, I was feeling quite feverish, the cold sweat kind. But I tried to push through. We had the meeting and it actually was quite good. Now Im not sure if Tarek was sucking up to me or not, but he said he wanted to take me on a few more sales calls so he could learn from my style. Ive never really considered myself a salesman before. In fact, I don’t like sales at all. One of the greatest salesman I’ve ever known was my father, but he was an atypical insurance salesman. His methodology would be to be completely honest with people. If he couldn’t get them a good deal he would tell them so and advise them not to buy from him and most of the time guide them to where they could go. So that didn’t make a lot of money in the short term but in the long term who do you think they came back to? That built up trust with his clients. That was a very effective tool that was passed onto me. Another person told me its not the product that you are buying, it’s the trust in the salesperson. So I factored that aspect into my acting teaching experience. Doesn’t seem like it would fit right? But I guess it did. I am so attuned to watching my students body language when they act, I’ve learned to develop that trait in everyday life. So when we started our pitch early on, I could tell that is was not hitting the mark due to the body language of the clients. So I kept fishing around then I struck a nerve. I saw what they were interested in and went down that path. It turned out to be a very successful meeting. I hope to have more of those. Now, Im not saying this to say Im such a great salesman or anything. We didn’t get the sale yet. But God is placing me in situations and preparing so I can succeed. Its all part of his favor. I see Deuteronomy 28 working in my life over and over. I don't really like sales, but I think that is what falls under the general...in the general manager title.

So I came back to the office and finished the edit of the pilot episode for “The Funniest Person in Bahrain.” I’m uploading it now. If its finished in time, I’ll upload the link. As I was doing the finishing touches, It was quite meticulous. Normally, I’m not that detailed, but the details are the differences between good and great. Im not saying that the show is great, but considering the circumstances and the budget, the experimental nature of it all, an amateur but very skilled cast, Im pretty darn proud of it. I told my staff in our staff meeting today. This program was KSDi’s first venture into entertainment related production. If we are going to expand past being a wedding video company this was an important step. Already we have established ourselves as a strong corporate and documentary company, and entertainment was the next step. Things are progressing right along the schedule I had. God is truly blessing me.

It’s quiz night at JJ’s tonight. So I had to come home right after work to take a nap. Its all about conserving energy for the important things in life ;o)

No comments: