Monday, August 24, 2009

It's the humidity

Well I wanted to try out the kayak in the heat again. But this time I went in the morning. I didn’t push myself too hard. I only went out for 40 minutes. It was only 110 degrees which isn’t brutal..but the humidity was 70% that is what will do you in. When I am in the water, I don’t really notice the humidity since Im usually drenched in sweat. But it is taking its toll energy wise. I have to work up to it like I work up to most things. I do love the kayak as you hear me go on an on about it. You wouldn’t think it was great exercise but it is. It works the arms, abs, but, even the legs. Its like running for your arms. But what I like the most about it is the meditative part. It really relaxes me. I get about ½ way out, I stop drift and listen to God. That’s my prayer closet way out there. I do take a litre of water with me. I know it’s a public place but there is no one around when I do. I still don’t understand how the Muslims go without water in the heat of the day like this. Im getting thirsty just writing about it.

We had to go back to the big shipping port for a few pick up shots. Syd our main contact there was thrilled with the video that we produced for his department. He said I thought the rough cut was good, and then the finished product was even better. Its always nice to have your work accepted and complimented like that. We are starting to have a reputation within the government circles as the “go to” company for the videos. We already have a reputation within the royal family. I like the rep we are getting. Im very proud of it.

The port was very busy. We went to the top of the observation tower roof. This put us at about 200 meters or so high. We had a spectacular view of the entire port and bay. It was quite majestic. But it was hot!!! Khalifa always suggests I don’t shoot during this weather, but when you have a 5 week deadline, you don’t have the luxury of waiting for the good weather to pass. One thing about the late summer wit the heat, I’m afraid it will be a pro-longed summer. But still…this is the Middle East. What did I expect.

I made it back to the office and we have even more proposals go out today. We have the potential to be incredibly busy this month. Its been frustrating because my phone here won’t receive incoming calls or texts. I can make outgoing calls and texts, but a bunch of friends and associates let me know Im missing calls. This is quite inconvienient for the business. So I went to the phone company to get it fixed, but they can’t find the problem. They replaced my sim card, still it didn’t work. This is kind of a hassle work wise. I really didn’t anticipate being so busy during Ramadan, but I’ll take it. I do enjoy my work.

I have so many friends out of town and my Muslim friends told me they couldn’t come to the Positive living group tonight, so I decided to cancel it for a week. I don’t want people to feel an obligation. I just want it to be a blessing for them. Still…it’s a little bit of a lonely Monday night.

No comments: