Monday, February 15, 2010

Sit down with the reporter

The day started off really well. We had the interview scheduled with the newspaper at 9:00 am. The reporter was late so the photographer wound up taking a bunch of pictures. He was trying to pick my brain about being a director, and I tried my best to help him with a few tricks of the trade. Mainly its confidence that you need. We have had so many pictures taken of us over the last three days. I would say, between the airport proposal, the Palm Ball, The Arabites video shoot, and the interview today we’ve probably had over 500 pictures taken of us since Jennifer got here. Im not sure why, but I think we’ve captured the imagination of a lot of people. Ours is truly an amazing fairy tale. Im touched because I’ve had dozens of friends wish me congratulations and other wonderful tales of encouragement. This blog has had its normal hits tripled over the course of the past week. If I can have a bigger forum to talk about God…all the better. Its like so many people are living vicariously through us, and Im thrilled and honored about that. I love to shout the story from the mountaintops because I believe my life with its ups and downs is a testimony of God’s faithfulness. Im thrilled that He found me worthy enough to recount my tale. As we sat with the reporter a bit later for the 45 min. interview, I think we gave her enough material for a book. She leaned forward and smiled almost the entire time as she scribbled furiously in her notepad getting all the details. It was a trip down memory lane for us…granted it was a short trip. I think I need to preface all the interviews and questions with self-awareness. I know this whole romance thing seems really radical and impulsive because it absolutely is. But I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that its also God. When God delays he does so purposefully in order to affect a change within us, but after that change is realized when He moves it can be lightning fast. As Jennifer and I were recounting the details of our brief and torrid romance its as if there was a video camera on us. We really kind of lost ourselves in each other’s gaze and forgot that the reporter was even there. I think the reporter really appreciated that. This was also an incredible opportunity to share my faith. Im not sure how much of the interview they will keep in a paper in a Muslim country, but my premise was quite clear. God told me three months ago that I would be married within a year. Everything else he told me specifically came to pass so there was not reason why this shouldn’t either. So I told her, the moment I saw her, I knew that God told me “She’s the One.” There is so much Hollywood drama involved with the story. Perhaps that is why it captures everyone’s imagination. I love that, because it just provides me with a bigger forum to which I can share my faith. Life right now is truly a fairy tale. But that doesn’t mean everything is rosy all over. My children are quite upset with me. There is still a lot of parental alienation, more-so now than ever. In spite of the success I feel emotionally with Jennifer, the chasm is equally as large with the estrangement of my children. Please, pray for them. I love my kids dearly, but the relationship with them is really bad. Kids of divorce are in a tough situation. One parent pulls on the left wrist while the other parent pulls on the right wrist both equally determined to win the tug of war. No one really wins, but the kids lose in being torn apart. So one of the reason I came to Bahrain is to let go of the wrist. I don’t want to fight for the kids to have them become even more damaged in the process. One of my children wanted me to fly home for their spring break in march. After announcing the news of my engagement (to the kids before the blog mind you) I received a voice mail today telling me they didn’t want me to come home to see them at all. Part of Parental Alienation is for the children to defend the manipulator and to insist that their thoughts are their own and not influenced whatsoever. Its really sad to see so much hatred and bitterness channeled through the kids. But you know what, I won’t let it affect me. Jennifer is being amazingly strong standing by my side and offering her love and support. I know the children will eventually see how much I do love and care about them. But it will take time.

We had a great time at my positive living group tonight. Jennifer made everyone homemade lasagna. We had about 8 people there. It was an unofficial engagement dinner. I share my story in great detail with the members of the Monday group. They saw the bad in my life and now that Im experiencing the Good they see the fruits of God’s faithfulness up close. I am a living testimony as I think all Christians are called to be a living testimony. I’ll post the article that Gulf Weekly prints this Wednesday. Thank you for your prayers and support. My life is witness to the fact that your prayers are working.

No comments: