Friday, September 24, 2010

Closed til 2 on Fridays

It was a little bit of a frustrating morning. I wanted to go to church, so I had to get up early. I wasn’t exactly where the church was so I had to give myself extra time to find it. As near as I could tell it was at the end of the metro station. I could walk to the metro station and hopefully either walk from there or take a short taxi cab ride. I haven’t gotten my first paycheck so money is tight. Im trying to conserve the cash and I didn’t want to blow my remaining $38 on a cab fare. So I woke up and wanted Senita the maid to make me breakfast. I couldn’t find her. That’s when I felt both really spoiled and really stupid. I forgot that she had Friday off. Her husband is a construction worker in town and this is the one day that she gets to see him. Im more than happy that she can do that. But remember I don’t make these rules, Im just a guest in the house. This is the way it works with most maids and laborers over here. So since Im really spoiled now and with no one to make me breakfast I did what any normal person in my situation would do. I skipped it. I headed out to the Metro and already by 9:30 it was really warm. 95 F to be exact but it was particularly humid. By the time I completed my 15 minute walk to the Metro, I was drenched in sweat. I tried to get to the train but there were three people waiting outside. They told me that the Metro is closed til 2:00 on Friday. D’oh. So I didn’t want to risk not having enough money for the cab ride back, plus I have to save cash for emergencies too, so I figured it was the thought that counted. As an added consolation prized I was listening to the podcast from Cornerstone in Livermore. So at least I got some preaching in today.

Im trying to exercise everyday. Usually its swimming and long walks on the beach. I have a routine after my workout. It might not sound like much, but its brutal. I walk home. That seems easy enough but its up 20 flights of stairs. I must be incredibly out of shape or getting old. The first time up, with a head of determination, I made it to the seventh floor. I had to work my way up to 20. Now Im getting to 20 every time wheezing like an asthmatic, but its getting easier finally. My goal is to make it up all 38 flights. Someday, but I don’t want to rush it. It’s the weekend here, so Im casually getting work done and Im catching some movies. That’s my entertainment and social life thus far as I haven’t made any friends locally yet. It’s 2am…I seem to be most productive in the wee hours. Plus I get to talk to Jennifer more. We communicate via iphone 4 face time, so we get to see each other on our phone video cameras with wifi, so it doesn’t take up any of our minutes. You have to love technology, it makes the distance a little more bearable.

No comments: