Wednesday, June 29, 2011

#1 Company to work for in America


It was a nice day today.  I am enjoying my career thus far at SAS.  To update you, Jennifer had planned on moving to Dubai to join me.  Then at a crucial moment I was waiting on a key decision from the people I was working for in Dubai.  That same day I got a job offer to come back to the US.  I don’t really think it was entirely my skill.  It was more like they were trying to keep my wife in the US.  Since the timing was so perfect, the day we were to make a decision, it was an easy choice to come back to the US.  I have found that as long as you are walking according to God’s plan the hardest decisions become the easiest to make.   It seems that God closes all the doors and keeps one open so you really don’t have much of a choice.  That’s why it confuses me when Christians spend so much time searching out God’s will.  I think as long as you are living your life right, every choice you make is according to God’s will.  If it’s not, a door will close and that will push you in the right direction. 

Jennifer is starting to have a hard time with the pregnancy.  Her normally solid blood pressure went up.  She is swelling and having a lot of discomfort.  She stayed home from work today and went to the doctor.  The doctor was worried that she might be developing early stages of preeclampsia so she ordered her a week’s worth of bedrest.  This wasn’t horrible news on Jennifer’s part.  SAS is an incredible company to work for.  They have been voted #1 company in America to work for, for two years in a row.  There are so many perks here, including unlimited sick days, a 35-hour work week, on campus health care, day care, gym, pool, squash racquetball courts, no dress code,  subsidized meals at over four different cafeteria style restaurants spread throughout the campus and an entirely relaxed corporate culture. I play squash on Tuesdays with a group at lunch then shower and head back to the office where I eat lunch at my desk.   They take care of their employees here.  The only other company I have worked for that compares with SAS is Dreamworks.  I think they were #10 on this year’s Forbes list.  I think this is one of the main reasons why the employees that usually get hired at SAS, retire at SAS.  I feel very blessed to be there. 

I am having a wonderful time with my youngest boy here.  My middle son was having so much fun with his cousins in Lynchburg, we decided that he should stay up there another week.  Spencer has tennis camp all week.  Before this week we had been playing everyday.  I am afraid that after this camp I won’t be able to beat him anymore.  He is really good.  I just love playing with him and having him around.  I don’t have the other two, emotionally or psychologically, but at least I have one.  That is an extreme blessing.  I am going to sign off now, because Spencer and I are about to play Simpson’s Road Rage.  I used to beat him all the time in this game.  But that was when he was four .  I can’t even come close to him now.  He’s awesome.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love reading your posts again. I hope Jenni takes care and advantage of this bed rest thing (I would have no problem) (ha) Praying for everything to be ok. Time for you to really step up, eh? Glad this is a good week for Spencer's camp and hopefully by the end of it, he beats your socks off. lovin you more......RB fm Hayward

Kimberly said...

Also glad to see you posting in your blog often again, Rick.

SAS sounds like a great fit for you too.

I was supposed to be in NC in a couple of weeks for a huge event (but am not going) and think of you all often.